Friday, July 17, 2009

Odds and ends, art and zombies...

This summer has been unseasonably cool so far. In fact, today feels like Fall. To add to the illusion, my red maple is starting to turn color already. This seems really early to me, and as much as I adore its red and orange glory, it seems like Summer has barely started. The weather has been so nice I want to be outside as much as I can.

I have finished with the underpainting on Cloud's portrait, though:


Now to add details and strengthen the darks and lights. Fun stuff!

In other news the neighborhood Zombie War is over (for now,) and we are victorious. The hole in the street where the zombies were crawling out has been filled in, and they are trapped. Waiting... Hopefully we won't see them again until Halloween. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, click here. :-)

It is also H.R.H. Boomer, The Queen of the Universes' birthday month. Yes, she gets a whole month since I'm not sure of the actual date, only the month. She has been gracing our presence for 16 years now. She will probably be very displeased that I've including something of such great importance as the magnitude of her birth in a post titled "Odds and ends..." If you don't hear from me again, then you'll know why...


And a picture of me and Cloud, just because I like it...


Have a great weekend, everyone!

14 comments:

Mona Diane Conner said...

Kathleen, great progress on Cloud's portrait. Pretty amazing about the turning leaves---I know it has been overall cooler in NYC, and I don't mind a bit, as usually it's too hot.

Love the last shot of you and Cloud.

artbykarieann said...

great post Kat, love Cloud's portrait so far and I dore the photo of the two of you all cuddled up together, oooh so sweet!

Scout and Freyja said...

We live in upper Michigan and we can tell you this...it's been so cold here that we don't think summer will come this year. Right now it's 63 degrees outside...sigh. Great for dog walks, though☺

Bijou said...

Hi Kathleen,

Cloud looks fantastic as is, so I can't wait to see it "finished".

I hope this cool weather holds out for at least one more day. Hope to see you and Cloud soon!

Bijou

WATERBABY CHRISTINE said...

Can't wait to see the finished Cloud. And boy does HRH look peeved, stuck in "Odds and ends", then sandwiched between the zombie hole and you cuddling with Cloud!

Kathleen Coy said...

Hahaha, right Christine! She is probably going to kill me in my sleep tonight. I hope not cuz Cloud has a play date with Bijou tomorrow. :-)

Hi Scout and Freyja, Wow, that is cool for this time of year. I love it though, I'm much more of a Fall person, lol.

Thanks Mona and Karie, I appreciate it! :-)

Cindy said...

I love the portrait and I know it is not finished...but i love the photo of you and cloud.

L.Holm said...

Your portrait of Cloud is fantastic so far. Amazing. I adore the light in the photo of you and Cloud. what a great shot.
Happy B'day (month) to Ms. Boomer. :-)

Kritter Keeper at Farm Tails said...

when i read about the zombie i literally said out loud "eeeuuuwwww!" i cannot imagine driving by that thing for the first time! somebody is warped on that road! : ) awesome painting as usual! happy bday to beautiful boomer!

Kelly Schulz said...

Love the portrait and the fact that you celebrate your cat's birthday for a whole month! THe weather this weekend has been nice and cool. A good change from the sweltering heat we've been having in TN.

Jennifer MacNeill said...

Awww, love the shots of you, Cloud and the one of Boomer. Happy Birthday month kitty! :) I adore your portrait in my house - hung in a place of honor.
It's been oddly cool here too. We're wondering why we got a pool pass...

gtyyup said...

That is a wonderful photo of you and Cloud. The color is perfect!

The painting is coming along really nicely...love the expression you are capturing in his face.

I noticed Colt was shedding some of his summer hair last night when I put him up after riding...I'm definitely not ready for summer to be over...it just got here!!

Kimberly said...

Cloud looks great, Boomer has amazing eyes and I'm sure will survive since cats usually careless about what we humans do. Such independent creatures. I've been so busy...feel like I've missed bunches. Time to get busy here again. Enjoy the month of celebration. Being a full time artist looks great on you! Kimberly

Sarah Sullivan said...

Aww I love that picture of you and your pup!! Wonderful shots!!!
Sarah