Monday, June 29, 2009

Cloud's new portrait in progress


Laying down the background. More warm earthy colors. At this point in time, nothing else will do. If I were forced to paint with only yellow ochre, I could still find a way to be happy...

Luckily, I don't have to!


I'm loving these colors. And of course, those ears!


This is a big size for a head pose of such a little dog. Usually my portraits are 8 x 10 inches. This one is 18 x 18 inches (acrylic on canvas.) Seeing Cloud's head this big is taking some getting used to, lol!

10 comments:

First Draught Farm said...

Seeing the progress is fascinating. You're probably simply capturing how big HE thinks he is! Keep sharing progress, please!

artbykarieann said...

How unusual to start with the ears! I would never have started there but sseing it now, it does look quite logical as you work down the piece!

Kathleen Coy said...

FDF, thanks, I will. And your comment made me laugh!

Hi pp, right now I'm just laying down the underpainting and will go back over it to refine and add details. :-)

Gary Keimig said...

Off to a great start. Looks like another winner.

Nikki Martin said...

There's no better subject! Looks great already - I do love the ears!

Kathleen Coy said...

Thank you so much Gary and Nikki! :-)

Bijou said...

Oh we can hardly stand the wait to see Clouds Big Head! BOL

Wags & wiggles,
Bijou

Kathleen Coy said...

Oh Bijou, you are as funny as you are cute! :-)

Five O'Clock Somewhere said...

I'm sure it will come out amazing like all of your other work. Love seeing the progress.

Julia Guthrie said...

This is a great pose:) I just love doggy snouts! LOL Nimh has a HUGE comedy snout...hee:)
And its great to see the different stages your paintings go through too.