Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Lobo



This is a pet portrait commission of a beautiful wolf-hybrid. He is half timber wolf and half White German Shepard. I had the pleasure of meeting this dog in person to take reference photos, and I must say that I was impressed not only by his looks, but by how "wolf-like" his behavior was. Observing his facial expressions and posturing were like watching a wolf documentary on TV. What a bright and charming boy he is!


This is the main reference photo. I'll be changing the angle so he's more upright. The painting will be of his head and chest, with a smaller portrait in the lower left corner. Acrylic on Ampersand Gessoboard, 11 x 14.


Here is the concept sketch.


Here I have the picture sketched out on the board and I am beginning the underpainting. The underpainting is like a map, it will show basic colors and fur direction. I'm not worrying about detail at this stage.


Here is the completed underpainting. It looks quite rough at this stage, although a friend did tell me that it already "looked finished." Thanks Andrea! :-)
This is only the beginning, now I start building up on top of the underpainting with many transparent layers of paint.


I am working on the ears here and starting the forehead fur. It can be a challenge getting the fur to convey the "fluffiness" of this dog, but I think it's coming along nicely so far.


I've been working on the eyes here...my favorite thing to paint. I love to see how the eyes breathe life into the painting.


The painting as it stands right now. Still lots of work ahead!

2 comments:

Nikki Martin said...

Kat - the painting looks beautiful!! I'm sure it will turn out great. I absolutely love the detail!!

Bella & Tucker's mom,
Nikki

Kathleen Coy said...

Thanks for your comments, Nikki! I'm pretty detail oriented, which is why it takes me so long to complete a painting. I'm around 8 - 10 hours into the actual painting at this point - I think. I don't keep track of time very well when I paint.